Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Personal Design Philosophy


In today’s global world, boundaries between work and home have been blurred and overlap personal spaces and time. Americans, especially, spend too much time surrounded either by interior walls or the inside of their car, while traveling between work, home and other destinations. They do not get to spend a lot of time outdoors. I enjoy creating organic and sustainable spaces that bring the outside into the inside, either visually or mentally. I also like merging interior space with exterior space thus expanding indoor living to the outdoors.

I believe that a good design should evolve not only from the client’s needs, but also from the surroundings of where the space is to be created. Materials and finishes should be selected that reflect this environment and reinforce it. I am partial to incorporating multiple or large windows in my designs to frame nature and/or to utilize natural daylight as much as possible. I feel that some of the best art that you can add to a space is from nature and nothing can match its color or vibrancy. Like Frank Lloyd Wright, I like to repeat elements throughout a design and believe that a design should flow from the inside to the out, integrating the building and its furnishings with its surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment