Monday, March 9, 2009

FOCUS STUDIES

The main object of this project was to provide affordable housing for people who worked downtown and people who were planning an active retirement. Research and current developement has shown that creating residential areas downtown would help revitalize the downtown area while helping to curb urban spraw and pollution. My two focus areas which are alternative energy and universal design help strengthen the above goals of my project. I intend to research different types of alternative energy, such as solar and wind power and geothermal energy to see how they could be applicable to my building. Some of these energy applications are available in our area now, while others may be available in the near future. I will provide company names and product suggestions for these new energy solutions. I will try to incorporate sustainable/green energy into the design of my project where applicable and feasible. I intend to implement universal principals in designing my loft spaces in order to make them living space that would accomodate various living needs. Universal design would allow a person that was looking towards retirement to age in place.

I would like my building to get LEED certification, if possible. I feel that if I implement sustainable design practices and alternative and green energy, the building should meet LEED certification qualifications.

I would like to use photovoltaic cells on the roof to provide solar power for hot water heating and possibly some of the energy needs of the eighth floor, which will be upgraded lofts.

I would like to use solar lights on the outside of the building that gather energy from the sun during the day and then use the stored energy to light the different entrances and exits.

I would like to propose using Suntech’s MSK Solar Design Line TM products, which are building integrated photovoltaic products (BIPV), in the future. These transparent glass panels can be used as windows, skylights, roofs, curtain walls and almost any other vertical or sloped construction surface. What makes this product so affordable is that it is not mounted on the building structure as usual PV installations, but actually replaces the structure, becoming an integral part of the building skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment